Thursday, March 27, 2014

More than we ever imagined

How can someone express with words the experience of meeting your child for the first time?  Words fail me.  Today was a day that will forever be in my memory.

Wes, Priya, and I all had different emotions this morning.  Priya said her palms were sweaty!  She was so excited about meeting Hope.  Wes and I were pretty calm (until arriving at the orphanage...but more on that later).  We had a nice family breakfast at the hotel, and our friend Josh was able to snap a family picture before heading out the door.  The bunny in Priya's hand was her gift to Hope, made with love at good ol' Build-A-Bear-and-Take-All-My-Money workshop.  My favorite part of this little stuffed animal is that Priya recorded her own voice saying "I love you, Hope" for the bunny.  Although I am still bitter about the price of this thing, I must say that Hope LOVED her gift.  But again, I'm getting ahead of myself.
 
Driving to the orphanage, I started to get really emotional.  It's like 3 years of waiting, praying, filling out paperwork, waiting some more, praying, doing more papers, praying, filling out more papers, praying some more...it was all about to come to an end.  Or better said, a beginning.  When we pulled up to the orphanage, I was completely overcome.  Outside the gates, there was a cradle drop box where anyone could leave their child, knowing he would be taken into the orphanage and given a chance at a better life.  It was more than I could bear.  The thought of any baby or child being left in that box was just too much for me.  What a broken world we live in.
Once we pulled up to the front, Sister Smitha, the nun who is Hope's primary caretaker, was waiting to greet us.  Despite some frustrating road bumps throughout the adoption, I felt God overwhelm me with great love for this lady.  Here's a person who has given her LIFE to help children.  And she's been taking care of MY child.  I completely lost it when I saw her.  I think we hugged for a solid 5 minutes.  I hope she genuinely felt how much I appreciate her.  I will forever be grateful to this sweet gift from God.

Now I need to stop and point out that Sister Smitha had told us that no one could enter the orphanage except immediate family members.  We were bummed about this because Sherry, my sweet sister-in-law, came along with us along with Josh, a friend and video guy from our church.  We planned to have Sherry and Josh wait in the van while we went inside.  But before we left the hotel this morning, we prayed and asked God for His favor.  We prayed that Sister Smitha would see our love and somehow be compelled to allow Sherry and Josh inside, too.  When she saw them, she told them they could come inside and sit to wait!  Praise God.  I felt the Lord so intimately answering our prayers.  

We went to a room to talk for a few minutes alone with Sister Smitha.  Josh and Sherry waited in a room next to ours.  Without us even asking, she said that after our initial meeting with Hope, she would allow Sherry and Josh to come in and also meet her!  Hallelujah!  What a gift.  We are so thankful.

And then, in a heartbeat, our sweet Hope entered the room.  I cannot even describe what I felt in that moment.  I can't understand how I can love a child so much that I've never met before!  Is it possible that God has given us the 2 MOST BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS in the world?  It is unreal.  She has the sweetest, shy little smile.  It will melt your heart.  She said, "hello Mommy, Papa, and Priya dedi."  I was dying.  I melt for little kids with Indian accents.  (not for adult ones, just to be clear.)  Here are some of our first moments with Hope!





It's totally crazy, but HOPE LOOKS JUST LIKE WES!  Their faces look identical to me!  They even have the same haircut! HA HA HA

After a few minutes, Sister Smitha let Sherry and Josh into the room.  It was interesting because Hope recognized Sherry from the family photo album we sent!
We colored and talked for a couple of minutes.  I was surprised at how much English Hope could understand!  She only answered with a word or two, but she did answer everything I asked her!  She said her favorite color is pink.  And then she added yellow.  How amazing that her room at our house is pink!  She also said she loves dance.  She looked at me once and called me Kasey Lorene! It was so cute!  The nun said she had memorized our names.  I was a little taken back by that!  She smiles a lot.  She never shows her teeth, but she has the cutest smile.  Adorable dimples.  And she's SO sweet.  She and Priya hit it off right away!  Priya was talking to her like they've been friends for all 6 years of their lives.  I love when Hope says "Priya Dedi." (a term of respect for an older sister).  I kinda hope she never loses her accent, either.  It really is the sweetest thing.  I think she pushed the sound button on her new bunny about 20 times in those first 5 minutes.  Then she'd repeat, "I love you, Hope."  I'm in love. 

After a few minutes getting acquainted, Sister Smitha invited us into the dining area to celebrate.  They had an awesome cake to celebrate the occasion!
They lit two candles, one for Hope and one for Priya, and the girls cut it together.  We all sat down (including Sherry and Josh) and celebrated together with India tea.  Let me tell you, there wasn't an ounce of chocolate left on Priya or Hope's plates.  These girls love chocolate.  Me, too!  That's why I married Wes.  Wait, what?  That's inappropriate.

After our celebration, we took a tour around the orphanage.  Unfortunately, Sister asked us not to take any pictures of the kids.  She is very protective of the kids and doesn't want them to be exploited.  While I would never do that, I DO wish you could see their faces.  These children are amazing.  Every one of them.  I wanted to die as we walked through.  They were all congratulating Hope and asking her questions about the new family!  It was sweet to see Hope happily introduce us to all the kids.  We got to meet her best friend, a sweet little boy.  I am really hoping we can get a picture of him tomorrow.  That boy's face lit up when we walked into the room.  Hope pointed at him and said, "my friend."  He knew exactly who we were.  These kids really are so precious!  I pray every one of them gets a family.  They were all eager to show us their schoolwork, their clothes, or anything that would make us pay attention to them.  I want to bring all of them home.  Not even kidding.  

Hope was proud to show us the room where she sleeps and her bed.  I have a feeling someone's going to be sleeping in bed with Priya.  She's probably not going to like sleeping alone!


We were able to get one shot of some of the girls in Hope's class.  Sister said she wanted Hope to be able to remember their faces.  These girls were SOOOO sweet.  They all need a family, too.  Any takers?  They're all over age 5 so even non-indians can adopt them!!
Well, now for the bad news.  We couldn't take Hope home with us today.  The passport office does need a police verification before Hope can be released.  This basically means an officer has to physically visit the orphanage and have the caretakers sign off on Hope's paperwork.  This apparently has been the delay. Sister Smitha said she asked the police to come tomorrow, at which point we can take Hope with us.  PLEASE PRAY the police show up.  We cannot proceed to get her passport without this step!  Hope was a little sad when she found out she couldn't leave with us.  Then, Sister Smitha told her to leave her bunny with us, too, so that the other kids wouldn't be sad about not having their own!  Hope was holding onto that bunny for dear life!  So Sister Smitha compromised  (Mary Klein, you'd be very proud) and told her she could keep the bunny in the office.  Hope seemed ok with that.

As we were leaving, Hope said something in Hindi to Sister Smitha.  Sister Smitha, choked up, told us that Hope said, "Thank you for finding me a very nice mommy and papa."  Commence tears.


30 comments:

  1. Jamie Candelario (Patterson)March 27, 2014 at 5:01 AM

    I just saw this blog today and I can't stop reading. (And crying) Kasey and Wes you are amazing parents...The girls are beautiful and its pretty crazy how much they favor you guys in some fashion. Love you and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got up early and kept checking your blog!!!!!!! This is beyond words...and yes, what a wise nun to sense the needs of a precious girl that is going through change and offer a compromise!!!! What a blessing to know that this nun is able to perceive those needs in the children God has placed in her care....I will be looking at this blog all day!!!!!! My heart is so happy!!!!! Thanking God over and over!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I had my cry fest for the morning (of course!). I am so HAPPY for you guys!!!!! I also cannot believe how much Hope looks like Wes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo very happy for yall....tears flowing right now of the joy! Pretty little girls cant wait too meet Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful and wonderful family!!! So happy for you guys and moved by the love.
    -sagar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man, thanks for the kind words. I hope to see you sometime, when we get back.

      Delete
  6. I should not have read this at work, trying to keep it together and not boohoo!! I'm elated for all of you! God is GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what and amazing adventure and story hope is a very luck little girl to have amazing parents as you too. love you all bring hope home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This hits home with me Kasey, Wes as I was one of those children a very long time ago. God showed favor on me thru two loving people who wanted a child to love and give a better chance at life. You guys are simply awesome !! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bro. Glenn I didn't know that!!!!!!!! That is amazing! Thank you for sharing that. That is so encouraging!

      Delete
  9. She is precious! I was thinking that she looks like Wes too!!! We are praying for favor tomorrow and you'll be able to take her with you! We are so excited for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came across this blog on my facebook and decide to check it. I was moved by it. i am glad God gave that little girl a family that loves her. No matter what the obstacles are God will remove it. God bless all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is Prashansa. I am crying buckets! I am keeping up with your blog. It is so well written (and funny too)! Thank you for sharing this journey with us! Did I mention I am crying buckets! I want to adopt that little boy (Hope's friend) and then move to Houston and live next door to you! You all look so happy! Can I write any more exclamation points in this message! I am praying that Hope leaves the orphanage tomorrow! KEEP UPDATING THIS BLOG! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring it on, Prashansa!! We have 2 houses for sale on our street! :) I know, I want to get that little boy, too. It is a sad reminder that all adoption begins with loss. Loss of a birth family, loss of friends. I pray for Hope as she works through the grieving process. I'll be praying for the little boy, too! I know he's going to be sad when we take her. That is the really hard part!

      Delete
  12. AWESOME! Congrats guys! So happy for y'all! Thanks for keeping us updated on the blog! I don't like the fact that I'm tearing up at work because of reading it, but I'll just blame my allergies if anyone asks... also, I see that spy pen Wes! hahhahha

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so proud of you guys! It is beyond encouraging to see God work in this way. Your story will continue to inspire people all around the world and to show the love that God has for orphans.
    I LOVE Hope and her sweet heart. She is amazing. She totally looks like Wes and I know was made for your family!! What a blessing for her to be thankful for you-I mean really. You guys are so blessed to have such wonderful children. It is a tremendous privilege to adopt. Thank you JESUS!! I cannot wait for your next update. Praying everything from here on out continues to go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, Priya immediately said, "she has Angry Birds sheets! I have to tell my cousins!" Hope even repeated "Angry Birds" when Priya said that. :)

      Delete
  14. WHAT!! Thank you, Jesus, what a precious day! We are rejoicing with you and praying that you will all be home quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love her angry bird sheets. I will have to show LUKE! Noah said this morning in his high pitched excited voice,"Now Priya won't be coming to Grandma's house alone, she will be coming with HOPE!" Luke was reading the post to him and when he got to the part about adopting from India-Noah said we should adopt from India because me and Robby know Spanish. I like that he thinks I'm smart. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha this cracked me up! Sweet Noah! Ummm, I'm sorry to disappoint Noah, but no one here is speaking Spanish. ;)

      Delete
  16. Wow, this is beautiful!! Hope is absolutely precious and she does look like Wes! Rejoicing with you guys and will be praying you can take her with you tomorrow. God is so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely should not have read this at work! I am just sitting here crying with my co-workers looking at me crazy. What a joyous day for you guys! Hope is so beautiful and I agree, she definitely looks like Wes. I will be continuing to pray for all of you and that Hope will get to go home with you tomorrow. Praise be to God for all that he is doing for you and your family! Can't wait to meet Hope and see the whole family together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My kids and I were pouring over every word! The cradle...don't get me started. Can barely choke it down. I want my kids to see what you have seen. I want to hurt what you have hurt and soar meeting another child again! You are fostering love for the unloved by this testimony. Praise Him!! And she LOOKS LIKE WES! Only the Lord. We wouldn't want a blond, blue eyed Wes look-alike anyways. :-) Sigh...Kasey, Wes, Priya, and Hope - so thankful for the good work the LORD is doing in you!!!! Cannot WAIT to meet Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just beautiful story all around, God is amazing to have shared His love...which gave you Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow!!! Congratulations! This is beautiful. You are so deserving and such a blessing and inspiration to so many! And you made me laughcry...or crylaugh! Lol. So happy for you guys and praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am reading your blog entry through tear filled eyes. What an amazing story of love and faithfulness. Thrilled for your sweet family. Praying the police officer shows up. Praying for the next phase of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh the tears!!! We are so excited for you guys! So happy, so so happy! Thank you for sharing this faithful journey!
    Laughing at the beds, the getting lost, the spy pen, and so much more but aching over the children in the orphanage and on the streets, the cradle...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing story and journey! Wishing you all the best for opening your hearts and homes to these children. Super inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing your journey. Praising God for Hope and your family of 4!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an exciting day, and how sweet little Hope is! Thanks for sharing what you are seeing there. Also, you crack me up, Kasey!!! :)

    ReplyDelete